IMPRESSIVE FIRST QUARTER FOR SPANISH ONLINE GAMBLING
14th May, 2016 at 09:48:24
Revenues soar 32.1% due mainly to slots legalisation last year.
The legalisation of online slots in the Spanish internet gaming market last year continues to boost overall performance of the industry, with Q1-2016 results released this week showing year-on-year revenue gains of 32.1 percent.
Reporting on the increase, which took GGR to Euro 102.3 million in the first quarter, the Dirección General de Ordenación del Juego reported:
* Online sportsbetting contributed half the stakes and over 57% of the revenue generated in the market, with wagers up 33% y-o-y at Euro 1.33 billion, and revenues up 29% at Euro 58.6 million;
* In-play betting dominated the sports vertical, delivering 71% of wagers vs. 29% from pre-event bets;
* Recently (last year) approved exchange wagering contributed stakes of Euro 7.5 million in the quarter;
* Online casino operations saw wagers rise 90% year-on-year to Euro 899 million, contributing revenue of Euro 25 million - up 104 percent. of this Euro 247.7 million in stakes - and Euro 9.5 million in revenue - came from the slots;
* Roulette wagering in Q1-2016 grew y-o-y by 42.3 percent, and Blackjack by 27 percent;
* Sadly, online poker declined again, this quarter by 12% in revenue terms, delivering just Euro 14.8 million, with cash games and tournament contributing more or less equal amounts. Spanish players anted up Euro 411 million on poker overall - down just over 18 percent;
* Online bingo performed better in the quarter, with stakes rising 10.3% to Euro 18.9 million, and revenue up 9.8% y-o-y to Euro 2.2 million;
* Active user numbers rose 40% to 550,000, whose deposits totalled Euro 271 million - likewise up 40 percent;
* Regulated operators in the Spanish reported investing Euro 32.7 million in advertising in Q1.
Related News Tags: Spain