SPORTS BETTING SAVES THE FRENCH ONLINE MARKET
24th July, 2014 at 11:58:38
Sports betting vertical the only one to deliver strong results in second quarter.
The situation for French online poker may be dire (see previous reports) but the nation's online sports betting vertical - boosted by the World Cup football in Brazil - delivered strong results in the second quarter 2014, with regulator ARJEL reporting:
* Wagers up 44% y-o-y at Euro 286 million;
* Gross profit up 64% at Euro 59 million;
* Substantial World Cup football action which drove football wagers up 76% y-o-y.
* Wagering on basketball, rugby and volleyball up 30 percent, 14% and 75% respectively;
* H1-2014 wagers up 34% to Euro 540 million;
* For the first time since legalisation, online sports betting was higher than pari-mutuel racing, which delivered Euro 255 million in wagers, 7% down on a quarterly y-o-y basis;
* Outstanding results from World Cup live betting which came in at Euro 109 million - up 26% on the 2010 soccer spectacular and providing gross profits of Euro 31.2 million.
* Française des jeux, recorded a 30% improvement on World Cup wagers since 2010 through retail and online subsidiaries, with over 45% of its action coming though mobile devices. Betclic reported a similar breakthrough, with 53% of its wagers made through mobile channels, 25% on live bets;
* PMU said the World Cup had generated an extra Euro 1.2 million in wagers for it, and new punter sign-ups totalling 60,000;
Related News Tags: France, South America