AUSTRALASIAN GAMBLING ADVISORY PANEL ANNOUNCED
22nd October, 2010 at 01:47:55
22 people selected for expert panel
Twenty-two people have been selected to advise the Australian Government on its gambling reforms through a new expert panel.
The Ministerial Expert Advisory Group on Gambling , chaired by Professor Peter Shergold AC, will provide specialist and technical implementation advice and play an important role in assisting the Government to deliver its gambling reforms.
The Government has invited 22 representatives to join the Ministerial Expert Advisory Group from key areas such as:
- problem gambling
counselling and support services;
- clubs, hotels, casinos and gaming machine manufacturers;
- cent; the Liquor Hospitality and Miscellaneous Union; and
- cent; research and academic institutions that specialise in understanding problem gambling behaviour and harm minimisation measures.
The group will consider key issues such as the implementation of a best practice, full pre-commitment scheme on poker machines, the roll out of poker machine dynamic warning and cost of play displays and establishing ATM withdrawal limits in venues with poker machines (excluding casinos) and will be guided by the latest evidence on gambling but also seeking advice from other stakeholders where necessary and will meet for the first time in early November.
The Ministerial Expert Advisory Group comprises of:
Chair: Professor Peter Shergold AC, Macquarie Group Foundation Professor, Centre for Social Impact, University of NSW.
The Government has invited the following people to join the Ministerial Advisory Group on Gambling:
- Ms Cheryl Vardon, Australasian Gaming Council
- Mr Anthony Ball, Clubs Australia
- Mr John Whelan, Australian Hotels Association
- Mr Chris Downy, Australasian Casino Association
- Mr Ross Ferrar, Gaming Technologies Association
- Mr Rohan Martin, ATM Industry Reference Group
- Mr John Duffy, International Gaming Technology
- Mr John Bresnan, Crown Limited
- Mr David Curry, Australian Leisure and Hospitality Group
- Mr Simon Schrapel, ACOSS and UnitingCare Wesley, Adelaide
- Dr Mark Zirnsak, Victorian InterChurch Gambling Taskforce
- Major Brad Halse, Salvation Army Southern Territory
- Ms Rosemary Hambledon, Relationships Australia South Australia
- Mr Barry Sheehan, Centacare Toowoomba
- Ms Kate Roberts, Gambling Impact Society
- Ms Louise Tarrant, Liquor Hospitality and Miscellaneous Union
- Dr Paul Delfabbro, Associate Professor in Psychology, University of Adelaide
- Professor Nerilee Hing, Director, Centre for Gambling Education and Research, Southern Cross University
- Professor Alex Blaszczynski, Chair in Psychology, University of Sydney
- Mr Ashley Gordon, Centre for Gambling Education and Research, Southern Cross University
- Dr Charles Livingstone, Deputy Head, Department of Health Social Science, Monash University
Related News Tags: none